The Angry Fox Scans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angry Fox Scans First Anniversary!

4 posters

Go down

Angry Fox Scans First Anniversary! Empty Angry Fox Scans First Anniversary!

Post by B-Werx Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:32 pm

The Angry Little Fox is now one year old!
June 16 is the official anniversary date of AFS, this was when the very first announcement on the Official AFS Blog Site was published. Although AFS was already enlisted in the 'once' great MangaHelpers site as one of the aspiring scanlation groups with with only 3 releases, after the crack down of the dreaded "Manga Coalition" on manga sites hosting and offering links to independent scanlation groups, AFS was forced to put up stuff elsewhere. Thankfully enough, there are plenty of free services around to choose from and our little fox made a home at it's present Site Host.

Let's hope that AFS will live on longer and be able to provide more enjoyable mangas to read!

Even though we operate for free, we still support the Manga and Anime Industry. If you guys have the chance, go buy official stuff even if you can't read or speak a speck of Japanese!! Help the authors and the publishers who tirelessly churn up stuff for us to enjoy, remember, if it weren't for these people we won't even be here! Cool
B-Werx
B-Werx
Editor

http://angrfox.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Angry Fox Scans First Anniversary! Empty Re: Angry Fox Scans First Anniversary!

Post by Unknownz77 Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:03 am

What's the manga coalition?
Unknownz77
Unknownz77
Proofreader
Proofreader

Back to top Go down

Post by Ren-chan Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:36 am

Unknownz77 wrote:What's the manga coalition?

Ah... The Manga Coalition, it's been a while since I last heard that name. Well, to answer that question we need to know the history of it. Before June 09 2010, scanlators were considered as forces of good by the manga publishers (both Japanese and English), because scanlators introduce new potential market for mangas that were never heard of in America and it also helps promote manga sales, yes business has never been better in those days. The first decade of the 2nd millennium was thought to be the boom of the manga and anime business, as dedicated fans clamor for new manga and anime stuff, their hunger was endless. Unfortunately, not all manga titles make it to the English market, only a selected few gets an English license for English publications, and this is where scanlators come in. Scanlators, like their anime counterparts, the anime subbers, translate raw Japanese manga and anime into english. Many groups during this period enjoyed the fruits of their hard labor and some of them even got contracts with the publishers to work full time to translate mangas and animes. Indeed the scanlators and publishers were once allies for the ‘manga cause’. Both worked hand in hand to provide fans of all walks the manga they ever so crave for. But by the end of 2008 the global economy turned for the worst, and the manga and anime sales plummeted. As sales dwindle, the scanlation market continued to thrive and the publishers are now beginning to think that allowing scanlators work freely is a bad idea. And so, they began to blame scanlators for the low sales of their merchandise, so in order for the Publishers (Japanese and English) to squeeze out the profits they should have been earning if it weren't for the now 'cursed' scanlators, the Japanese and English publishers decided to join forces and try to crush the scanlation community, and thus the "Manga Coalition" was born. They have sworn to use up all their resources to crush and completely stop the scanlators, and on June 9th of 2010 the now dubbed ‘The Coalition’ started to do their work, many fell victim to their threats and legal actions, included are "One Manga" and "MangaHelpers". Even "MangaFox" did not escape unscathed; they were forced to take down English licensed titles from their list. Since MangaFox servers were based in China (a place where the reach of the Coalition is weak) they were only able to do minimal damage. One by one the dreaded Coalition hunted down and closed sites that offer free scanlated manga, even the raw providers from Japan didn’t escape the wrath of the Coalition as Japanese publishers jailed anyone who uploaded and provided scanned copies of mangas on the internet and one of the raw sources that have fallen victim to this was “RawManga”. It was a dark period in the history of scanlation. During that time AFS was still in the embryonic stage, if I remember correctly, we only had at least 5 releases during that time and all were hosted in the MangaHelpers website. In fear of legal actions from the Coalition, MangaHelpers took down all the links to their once rich source of raws and scanlated mangas, forever removing all of them from their database. The only remnants of the once supported raws and scanlation releases are the now dead links that lead to error pages. MH is now but a shell of its former self, it was a sad, sad period when both fans and scanlators were facing a blank wall. Nobody knew what to do back then, all major manga scanlation projects have ground to a halt as the reserve of raws ran out. Only those who have collected and saved raws of completed series were able to survive through that era. It was only a few months ago that things started to look up again, as new fans and scanlators rise from the ashes that was left behind by the Coalition. Although things have subsided, it doesn’t mean the Coalition is gone, they are still there patrolling the waters for Scanlator pirates.

To put it simply, our situation as Scanlators is like Luffy in OnePiece. The Manga Coalition as the Marines and the Scanlators as the Straw Hats, both aiming for the greater good, but both factions are considering each other as enemies. During the great divide that fateful date one year ago, fans were divided as well, the ones who support the Coalition and the ones who support the Scanlators. Many have proposed solutions on how the two factions could agree and become allies once more, but until that time comes all we can do is wait and hope for the best.

I’m sorry for my long post. I just can’t help but feel a bit mellow-dramatic about this issue. It was the event that almost ended the AFS, I think B-werx could agree with me on this one. It’s been a year already, huh? I never thought I had been working for the team for that long already. I approached B-werx back then because we were both fans of Hanaukyo Maid Tai, we agreed to work on it and one day he proposed Magikano as one of our projects. After working on the two titles, I really enjoyed it especially when I see other people reading and enjoying our works. Just being able to bring happiness to fellow fans is enough consolation for me.
Thanks you guys, even though we’re all busy with real life stuff we still manage to get through with our releases, let’s all work hard together ^_^
Ren-chan
Ren-chan
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknownz77 Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:13 am

Wow........didn't know about this , coz all I do is read ........ so tats y onemanga closed........ren-chan , the wat u say it.....it sounds like a war , lol . Those publishers r crazy , y would we English speakers buy stiff we don't understand? They should be thanking scanlators>Sad
Unknownz77
Unknownz77
Proofreader
Proofreader

Back to top Go down

Post by Ren-chan Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 am

Yep, the story was like something from a manga itself, but that is what happened. Being caught up in that mess was very scary and we already had plans on disbanding back then.
Ren-chan
Ren-chan
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknownz77 Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:08 am

O_o. R we still threatened?
Unknownz77
Unknownz77
Proofreader
Proofreader

Back to top Go down

Post by Ren-chan Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:09 am

nope, I don't think so. Rather than stopping, I think they made the whole thing into something that got way out of hand that even the collective efforts of the publishers can't handle. Now there are multiple manga reader sites that offer mangas in a much broader range and many seem to be hosted on other countries like Russia and China. Countries where the coalition had the least control over. You know what they say, "Once you get something out on the internet, it stays on the internet"

Last edited by Ren-chan on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Ren-chan
Ren-chan
Translator

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Werx Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Wow...
Well, it was a very tense period indeed, I actually felt like stopping at that point, but I thought "What the heck" If they would send us a cease and desist order, we'll stop, but if not, we'll still carry on.
B-Werx
B-Werx
Editor

http://angrfox.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HF Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Ah, I remember when all that went down. There was such a...storm brewing, but it ended up flopping. They just cant follow through with the scale they wanted.
HF
HF
Proofreader
Proofreader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down